Thursday, March 27, 2008

BROKEN

An honest confession of my life

Throughout college, I prayed for brokenness that I might experience a deeper longing and need for God; a prayer that I might be humbled. During my last time living a broad, I experienced a certain personal brokenness that allowed me to examine a lifestyle that I was living that was consumed by stress, anxiety, inadequacy and a longing to please others. On the outside my face contorted to flash my carefree smile; on the inside I was churning with guilt, self-loathing and anxiety. I was living a life that felt only like a shadow of who I always was and who I thought I was expected to be. For me, these were dark days. But you cannot escape yourself. Over the next two years, I began learning how to like myself again and am transitioning into a time where I can love myself as a creation of God and a vessel for God’s purposes. It has been a long battle with myself.

This year, I have continued to face these struggles, even ones that I thought I had conquered but perhaps have only pushed aside. When you are somewhere on your own with no one who has known you or your battles, your weaknesses and fears suddenly hover around you. There are less ways to distract yourself, be a busy body, or escape from life’s confrontations. Even here, I find myself exhausted and guilt-driven in trying to please others. Let me say that a life controlled by trying to please others can hardly be described as “living.” And when you are straddled between two worlds, two homes—you can certainly not live to please all.

My most recent experience was as such. I spent the first few months at the hostel literally intimidated by the 2nd year students. (Mind you they are 5 years younger than me). Even still, I found myself nervous to see them, and make the wrong impression or having to really push myself to reach out to them, enter their rooms, or at times, even strike up a conversation. For one, they are a very tight knit group that does everything together and generally sticks to them selves. They are that “cool group” that must be in existence universally. They even threw their “gang sign” at me in passing. They are the rebels of the hostel, the fashion queens, the beauties. And I? I was intimidated. And, like so often, I just wanted to make them happy and for them to like me. One day as I rounded the corner of the basketball court during my afternoon run, I happened to see that they were all sitting their watching me. Oh, well this is just great. Here I am in my horribly smelly clothes, self-consciously running as they stare at me. I flung my hand up in my best wave—slipped on a rock and completely busted it. I mean lying flat on the ground. Talk about being brought down to your knees and humbled. As these girls ran over to me, they appeared to want nothing more than be my friend. My pride and fears prevented me from relationships with these girls.

Real relationships are not about pleasing others. I write this as I sit here convincing myself of this truth. Here in India, I am slammed with this: I cannot give food or money to every person that asks me. I cannot be everywhere that everyone wants me to be. I cannot do everything that everyone wants me to do. I cannot be everything that everyone wants me to be. To love others, we must love ourselves. Without accepting this, we cannot serve others. It requires forgiveness to ourselves that we cannot please everyone or be perfect-- a life lived seeking to do so is not trusting in the existence of Grace.

5 comments:

Blair McLeod said...

Katherine.

One thing i have always loved about you is your sweet realness.

A bazillion cagillion words could not describe how much you mean to me.

Thank you for this sweet blog, it has blessed me.

I love you.

-Blair

Blair McLeod said...

Katherine.

One thing i have always loved about you is your sweet realness.

A bazillion cagillion words could not describe how much you mean to me.

Thank you for this sweet blog, it has blessed me.

I love you.

-Blair

Roni Abraham said...

:) Thanks for the e-mail. Yes, each state is SO different. But you know what's funny though?You've seen more India than me. ha! I have not been out of Kerala that much. Just Madras/Timal Nadu and I think that's it.

Thought of you and this blog while reading this Verses. Thanks for writing the blog and keep writing!

It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone. eph 1:11-12

Laura said...

So true Katherine, you can't be everyone to ..everyone. As my kiwi flatmate Glen says, you are the only one who can look out for number 1- you. Sometimes you need to do you what you need to do for yourself, and not for everyone else; it isn't selfish, but it is loving yourself.

AND if I you a pound for every time I busted it in rainy, slippery Edinburgh, you'd be rich! (especially considering the conversion rate)...I feel you. :)

Brad Bryant said...

Bird:
Relationships are not about pleasing each other. I agree with you. They are about understanding and getting to know someone so well that you can anticipate what their needs are. For us that is not always a "pleasing" moment. Saying something to someone you love who may be angry or mad at you in that moment is not pleasing. We are at our best when we love them unconditionally, not something we humans do very well.

However, there are several things that you can take comfort in:
a. we are all broken - don't need to pray for it as we are all there together;
b. when you live unselfishly and extend love as unconditionally as you know how, you repair some of that brokenness - you, my dear - extol that virtue as well as anyone I have ever known;
c. we have a God who loves us unconditionally and extended to us a grace that means we don't need to please others or please God - just like the fact that your two parents do not need you to "please" them for us to love you (me the MOSTEST);
d. while we certainly should love ourselves, isn't it more important that God loves us - isn't that enough - and if God loves us then can't we forgive ourselves enough to love us - God doesn't make mistakes; and,
e. we all battle our inadequacies. For me, I have always worried that someone is smarter, more gifted, more deserving. Finally I saw that as strength - not a weakness- because I hope I don't put myself in a position of arrogance or high self worth. We are called to serve, not be served. You are a servant - always have been.

Daddy