Friday, May 16, 2008

CLEAN

Cleanliness is relative. At least that is what I keep telling myself. I am a product of an anti-bacterial dousing, Lysol engulfing, don’t drink after anyone culture. I am learning to give that up really quickly, let me tell you. When it comes to the issues of neatness and germs, I lean towards the “I suffer from OCD tendencies,” category. Just ask my roommates. One of the toughest habits that I am quickly being forced to break is living according to my preconceived notions of cleanliness. Here, I cannot always wash my hands before I eat -- even if I just touched the hands of 80 small children. We share glasses. Many dishes are cleaned with no more than a quick swirl of hand and water. Have I drilled it enough that we don’t use toilet paper? Each morning I wake up to a find a small pile of the door by the door. The ants are literally eating away at the door. I can see through the door in some parts and I am just waiting for the day when I wake up to the sun shining bright through my non-existent door.

But, I will tell you one thing. I am learning to be humble and to let things go. When I see day after day the aching dirty soles of laboring feet I can better comprehend the biblical significance of feet washing and the precious gift to whom it was bestowed upon. Jesus ate with those considered unclean. Did you get that? He actually sat down and ate a meal with them. He lived among these people. And I can hardly go anywhere without my anti-bacterial hand gel and miniature roll of toilet paper. In India, there are often restrictions for women who are menstruating. There are some temples that women cannot enter in the entire span of their childbearing years. They are considered unclean. I think I am beginning to see that cleanliness is more than pressed clothes, clean ears, and fresh sheets. It is a way of living. Like a cold shower on a hot day, we should revel in the company and lives of other whether the society tells us they are clean or unclean.

3 comments:

McMenon said...

As you know by now, India, especially Kerala, is more tropical. We do have a very good idea of what being clean really means; hygiene is very well understood in India.

Washing and cleaning is very much a part of our life. Of course, we don't need the toilet roll, simply because we do have plenty of water. Most malayalees (Keralites) take two showers a day.

What you are encountering is the poorest segment of the society. True, they have been marginalised by the society - hence they haven't adjusted the idea of hygiene.

It was an Indian sage Shrushruta who performed the first surgery. During his days, thousands of years ago, tender coconut water was used as a sterile solution.

The concept of clean and hygiene is not foreign or new to Indians. The sad thing is there are a great deal of poor people in India, victims of feudalism and now capitalism.

I am sure the poorest in the US too live a life which is not up to the clean and hygiene standards we have to know of. The percentage of poor in the US when compared to that of India (as of today) is not that high - to make a social impact. I am sure the Ghettos and some people who live in trailers too live a life very similar or even worse than that of the poor in India.

Now, where do we put Jesus in all this? It is the rich people who need Jesus more than the poor. It is people who can afford three meals a day and enjoy the comforts of wine and steak - who need to be touched by the life of Jesus.

If only they learn to share with the not so fortunate people in the society - would we as a human nation - live up to Jesus' ideals.

I am so happy for you that you are being able to live with the poor and understand the essence of living itself. It is one step closer to Jesus.

On the subject clean, the obvious reference is to the dirty. I often wonder why do we have Filthy rich people amongst us?

In India, there are often restrictions for women who are menstruating. There are some temples that women cannot enter in the entire span of their childbearing years. They are considered unclean.

The Laws of Family Purity, as recorded in the Torah (Lev. 15:19-24), prohibit a husband from having intercourse with a menstruating woman. Family Purity Laws, called Taharat Ha-Mishpachah in Hebrew, are also referred to as the Jewish Laws of Separation.

Niddah

Niddah refers to a woman who is ritually impure. She is considered ritually impure while she is menstruating and for seven post-menstrual days. According to the Family Purity Laws, as soon as possible after nightfall of the seventh post-menstrual "clean" day, the woman must immerse herself in a mikvah. After she has purified herself in the mikvah, then she can resume sexual relations with her husband.



Further reference of religions: Untouchability - Menstrual Taboos - Menstruation And Civilization

As for Islam: It is permissible for a menstruating womam to recite the Qur'an without touching it. Similarly, she can very well recite the portions of the Qur'an, which she does regularly, or even the Ahadith of the prophet (pbuh) . However she shouldn't touch the Qur'an with her hands.

Another one is “Neither those who are sexually defiled nor those who are menstruating shall read the Qur’an.”



Without taking anything away from your India experience, I am sure you would have come across similar experiences in your home country too. I am sorry you had to fly thousands of miles away from your home to understand why Jesus shared a meal with the poor and unclean.

All good lessons are always worth it.

Katherine said...

Most of my friends here in Kerala bathe more than me, so I definitely was not commenting on their lack of cleanliness! I think in America we have a tendancy to sterilize in extreme ways although I would have appreciated the doctors and nurses using gloves when I was at the hospital in Kerala:) I mostly used the idea of physical cleanliness to spur on thoughts about who we deem in our society as clean and unclean. It's true, in America, those that can afford such luxuries and who do not choose to share are, indeed, filthy rich!
I don't think it took a flight to India to discover who it was that Jesus hung out with, but I have gained a greater concept of who those labeled as "untounchable" really are.

Roni Abraham said...

In my humble opinion and from my past traveling experience, I can say that such trips gave me a different perspective on life and helped me realize how blessed I am. Embarrass to say but it took me a few trips here and there to humble myself and it changed the way I lived my life.
Rich or Poor- We all need Jesus. I don't know if we can categorize faith based on our financial strength. I deal with a lot of affluent clients in town and it is a blessing to see that these people are very compassionate and very giving people. A lot of "filthy rich" people are very generous givers (look at B.Gates and W.Buffet for example.. It is amazing what they have done for this country and around the world). I don't think it is very smart to gave away all your assets and you don't have to do that to be a righteous person.
Katherine, I enjoy reading your blogs mostly because I can relate to them. We (Indians) may have a good idea of what cleanliness means but we sure don't practice it haha...(I know this because I was in Kerala 9 months ago). Cleanliness is definately relative and we have a long way to go as far as practicing it.
Don't need the toilet roll because we have water. Really? I thought it was more of a cultural thing... Hey, at least water can clean better than T.P. :)
I tell you this though- Rich or Poor, experiencing Christ and His love for me from wherever I am in life and whatever situation I am in, is the more important thing in my life.
Peace!!