Tuesday, September 18, 2007

IDENTITY

In my own limited scope, I would consider the people of India to be distinctively identifiable. Of course this tendency is not unique to India, but, perhaps I can see it more clearly in a country where the melting pot (of internationals) classification does not apply so extensively. Alas, India certainly has its own diversity. In many ways there is a huge disparity between the rich and poor, the educated and not, the male and female. Identifiable. The men in clothing dictated by their position. The young women in churidars, the older women in sarees. The dalit women often required to bare more midriff in their sarees. Some children dressed in their government school uniforms and other children in their private school uniforms. Then, of course, there is the Bindi dot for the young Hindus, with an additional mark near the hairline for the married women of this faith. There are the covered heads of Muslim women. The necklaces of marriage symbols, of prayers, of the cross. And ME, I am marked as well. Even behind my churidar and shawl, I remain a white girl. A foreigner. I cannot escape or change this identity. I cannot disown these things or pretend that I am not from a place of privilege, from a foreign land, of a different ethnicity. I cannot lose my identity but I suppose I can use my identity to change stereotypes and impressions that we present as an American culture. I can define myself - and my identity - by the love of God and the new creation that I am through the death of Christ.

3 comments:

Melissa Wheeler said...

Katherine-

Dear friend, I am inspired by your words. The places we find ourselves serving God are so different, yet our scope the same. To meet people where they are. Thank you for your honesty. I miss you and love you and think about you often. May God bless you in unexpected ways my friend!

Peace and love-
Melissa Wheeler

Unknown said...

Katherine,
We're here with Hannah. Sally and Tim have gone to Ellie's parents weekend. We have read your messages and enjoy every word. It is so wonderful what you are doing. I know we know that God is using you, his precious child in such a special way for his glory. We miss you so but feel so near in spirit. we'll always love you more than words can tell. Spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and physically Gods care for you.

Love,
Grandmommy and Pa, Hannah

Roni Abraham said...

Katherine,
Two more days and I will be in "God's Country" - Kerala!! It has been 7 years since I been there and I couldn't even sleep thinking of the trip. I am so very excited about the trip, Soni's wedding, and seeing all my friends and families. I am excited about seeing you too. Soni got to Kochi safe yesterday and he will be meeting his soon to be wife today. Well, the countdown starts now and I will see you soon.
Ro from Chattanooga!!

p.s. Soni's number is 423-785-6945. Apparently his phone works there and he gets text messages. So feel free to shoot him a message or call him if you'd like.