Tuesday, September 4, 2007

SET

Our anachronistic arrival at the Mumbai airport felt strangely surreal. We had been traveling for one very long, continuous day which really consisted of something like two days and when we stepped off the plane it was going on 1 am. Thus, the airport was not the usual hustle-bustle that we are prone to find while traveling in the states. Beth, Rob, Laura and I sat on the cold floor and engaged in a card game called Set, which requires a great deal of thinking and concentration which, consequently, we were greatly lacking at the moment. It was not a game that could easily be followed without a deal of explanation, but as we continued on in the game we became acutely aware of the interested Indian observers that encircled us. Here we were, a clump of four wide-eyed and eager foreigners, enclosed by the night crew of the airport. What a beautiful welcome! We were united by a simple game that drew interest to the onlookers and the fascination of what is new. And, while our attempts to communicate were feeble, perhaps, there was an understanding that passed between us, providing a peaceful feeling to this long day.

It makes me think about how "set" in our ways we (including myself, of course!) can become. We are set in "the ways we've always done it." We are set in our political preferences, our social obligations, our grasp at what is "right." But maybe there is so much more than what we perceive as right and good, afterall our contexts are quite different. I think that is such a huge part of this experience. Learning to bridge the gaps between people and cultures. To step out from what is comfortable and be embraced by what is new and even "foreign." For me, this late-night airport adventure was a vivid reminder of the neccessity to form community and be open to the community that I will step into. I am surprised again and again, at the kindness that is offered in the most unlikely places. If I remain set, I perhaps will miss out on these transformative moments. I may not be entirely READY for what I will encounter, I hope that I am not too SET, but I will GO forward regardless!

5 comments:

Brad Bryant said...

Kat:
I have been awaiting this next post. You are right on in your analysis of how becoming set in our ways means that we can't move to a different place. In terms of concrete - when the crete is set - it means that it no longer has the ability to move on its own. For the ones that pour the concrete, it means that they can go do something else. Do you kinda think that people who are "set" end up become irrelevant in that no one needs to tend to - or listen to - what they have to say. Like concrete they may become hard and impervious to others. I like Rob Bell's analysis of our Christian faith - that it should be like the spring of a trampoline - flexible and willing to employ the equal springiness of other springs to propel the rubber center to help others achieve heights they can only imagine. I do think you are ready, I do know that you are not "set" in your ways or beliefs, so GO GIRL GO!!!!

Love Daddy

Blair McLeod said...

Daddy Bryant,

Perhaps we should start looking for a Publisher for little Bird's Journal... Did you and Momma Bryant teach her to write like that?!.. Also, loved your response.

Please tell Kay we are praying for Mrs. Farmer!

God is Good - Always!



Katherine,
Love you babe. Thank you for your encouragement yet again! I am loving following your adventures.
-Blair

Caroline said...

Hey bird~ I'm back at school and was thrilled to see another post! It magically flew me out of my anticipation before beginning my last year and transported me to your adventure. I just get so excited when I think of you in India. I love you! ~Caroline

Blair McLeod said...

yo girl!...i'm anxiously awaiting your next report!!..missing you a lot! can't wait to hear about whats been keeping you busy and away from your posting!! love you.

Unknown said...

you have a beautiful outlook on life Katherine, I hope you continue to grow and love life in India! I think of you daily. YOu are precious,
much love and all encompassing joy,
holly