Sunday, January 13, 2008

PILGRIM

On Christmas Day, I embarked on a twenty-four hour train journey to the east India state of Andhra Pradesh. The journey was spent surrounded by Hindu pilgrims making their annual pilgrimage to Sabrimala Temple. This was my own pilgrimage. It gave a new perspective on the journey of Mary and Joseph. They were far from home, away from family. While they were more than likely surrounded by a multitude of other “passengers” on the journey, maybe they felt lonely. They certainly stuck out- possibly even a spectacle! Mary was very heavy with child and they were scrutinized for conceiving a child out of wedlock.

I spent the week at the Parakal Missions Home of Love. Here is a place where boys come when their parents have perished or can no longer afford to keep them. The surrounding villages are mostly composed of straw-roofed huts, echoing the picture I formulated as a child of the manger scene. Old men and children sit atop ox and donkey carts teeming with hay or cotton. I met the shepherds. And the day laborers. And the farmers. They still remain on the fringes of their society after some 2000 years. They continue to be exploited. But who were the first to receive the Good News? Who saw the star and were the first to greet the child? These are the times when I throw up my hands and ask, “Where is God? What is fair about any of this?” These people have next to nothing. These boys have no family, nothing of their own and live in a place that barely meets its day-to day financial needs. And, God! These are the lucky ones. At the boys’ home they have a roof and people that take care for them. And food to eat. Tears creep down my face. But, as I sit among the boys and take a deep look around, I know that God is here. He is in this place. These are the hungry, the fatherless, the widowed. The ‘least of these.’ And He is with them. Suffering with them. I have not experienced such love and hospitality as I did with these boys and the staff of the home. I see that they are loved and in the hands
I missed the Christmas season spent surrounded by my family and friends celebrating a myriad of traditions. But, this year my simple celebrations were spent with new friends and the people that welcomed me in. Maybe this Christmas was the closest I’ve been to the nativity. Never before have I hovered so closely to the trough and peered into the eyes of the Baby that came to show the world a radical way to live.

8 comments:

Rev. Joel L. Tolbert said...

Wow, thanks for the pilgrimage to the manger, through your eyes. Whether there or here, the task is constantly to put ourselves in situations where those squashed voices get priority. I find that true when I walk away from the email (preferential to those who have and are able to access email) and the phone (preferential to those that have and are able to use a phone) and go sit with someone, may they be old, sick, dying, or having forgotten who they are. In those moments, his long list of Blessed are... take shape, and become real for me as well. Thank you for being out there on the pilgrimage with those voices, and for giving them priority in your life for a while, and for letting them move and shape you more and more into his service.
Rev. Joel

Brad Bryant said...

Bird:
As much as we missed you at the Christmas Season, your experience both comforts me and makes me a bit jealous. It is comforting in the sense that each and every endeavor that we undertake is a journey and we are, at all times, pilgrims. The ability to enjoy and absorb the wonder of each day that God has given us is a gift - and you are so good at demonstrating that God gives us those days to act in love. Jealous because you are gutsy enough to step out in faith and some of us are just a bit scared - but we are learning from you, our seet Bird. Know that they is a host that undergirds you each and every day, that you are their eyes and ears and that you offer them a vantage point that they might otherwise never have. How cool is that!!
Love you the mostest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daddy

Blair McLeod said...

KatBird.

I love you so much and just miss you. You teach me so much. As always thank you for sharing!! I am just thirsty to spend time with you again. Can't wait for you to come home and am excited about all the thousands of more experiences/stories you will gain between now and then!

Momma&Papa Bird--
I'd love to catch up again soon!


Love you all.
Blair

Roni Abraham said...

"Swamiiiiaaaaa.... sharanam Ayaappooooo"..... I am sure you have heard this quite a bit in the past few months since it was the Sabarimala season.Right? :).. I will write you later...:) Glad to know that you are doing well.. I gave ride to Soni today and he told me that he was glad to see you and that you looked great. I will comment more about your blog later.. :) Be safe!!!

Roni Abraham said...

:) "Swamiiiaaaa....... Saranam Ayyaapoooo...." I am sure that you heard this quite a bit in the past few months since it was the ShabraiMala Season. Glad to know that you are doing well. I gave Soni ride from India and he told me that you look great.:)... I will comment on your blog later. Be safe. Remembering you in my prayers.
RoRo.

Caroline said...

Katherine, I must admit as I read your Pilgrim post, I too was jealous. The opportunity to step away from holiday traditions and a busy schedule is the best way to regain simplicity and with it a reminder of priorities. While you were certainly missed, I love how you shaped your journey from home in Kerala to a pilgrimage like that of Mary and Joseph. That was really Christmas. (Though I guess Boyd and Hannah weren't there to greet you at the Inn.) I love you! Caroline

The English Family said...

Katbird,

Miss you so much espcially over the holidays. It was so different at Grandmommy and Pa's house the day after Christmas with you, Ben and Kristen and the Gutterys absent. However, appears you were being fulfilled on your Nativity journey. You will have so many wonderful stories to share with us upon your return home. Cannot believe how green the landscape looks and there is a possiblity they will not open the pools this summer due to our continued drought. Take care and thanks for filling a void hole on a cold January day with our glowing nativity blog.
Love, Aunt Sally

Julia said...

I was in need of a little peace tonight, so I decided to pay your blog a visit...I must say, it did the trick. And it really IS a RADICAL way to live. So...thanks for the peace. And the inspiration.