Sunday, January 13, 2008

Resolved

If you are extremely claustrophobic I wouldn’t recommend a train ride in India. I think I have found the origin of the phrase “packed like sardines.” It is the 9:30ish train from Mavelikara to Kottayam on Monday morning. I left for a marriage of a friend’s “uncle’s” son. (You’re lucky if you know that much about the bride or the groom). Now, keep in mind, I am wearing a sari. And walking. And boarding a train. I generally attract attention, “Madama, madama (white lady). But how about a madama in a sari? That’s just asking for the stares, waves, honks and laughs that so often come my way. So, I head for the back of the train designated as the lady’s compartment. There is hardly room for both my feet to touch the floor and I am hanging on to the handle bar of the train door. But, alas that doesn’t stop half a dozen others from getting on. It was like playing the game twister with this car full of women. Right hand on blue. Hey, now; that’s my rear end! Left foot on yellow. And that is my foot! I had a grandmother learning on my shoulder and the young girl next to me was heaving her breakfast onto the tracks below. Then, heaven forbid, someone needed to get to the bathroom! As she wove under our arms and I found my body contorted into something like a pretzel. To put it frankly, I wanted to scream or push someone. But so often in these times when I am on the train I begin to stare out the window and have a word with God. It’s one of my favorite times to pray. I am normally by myself and in a reflective mood while journeying. So I got to thinking about the new year. I have certainly had my share of resolutions. We all know what they are typically composed of--and how often these desires become realities. Lucky for us, we are a ‘new creation.’ We have a fresh start over and over again, not simply at the beginning of a calendar year. I saw my quickness to anger and frustration on the train. It made me question how I handle each situation and the emotions that arise…how I cope with the smallest challenges, like a crowded train. The two young ladies in front of me were encouraging and helpful in every way possible when you are on a crowded train. Surely, I too, can find the strength to live the life of a new creation- to react to others with grace and love.

5 comments:

Caroline said...

Hey Katherine!

So last day of January, wild! Sounds like another memorable train ride- just with a different location from Bratislava. It's funny how I can get annoyed when the person in front of me reclines his air plane seat, yet you're holding on for a ride. Well, we're in Tampa now finishing up a week of rowing on the water. We've had fabulous weather for once, then it is back to the frigid temps of NJ. Not too much new going on. Alex says hi! Love you! ~Caroline

Roni Abraham said...

Hahaha.. I just love reading your blogs! I just thought of you today after I talked to my Mom..

Hello Mathamma Penne,
I talked to one of my aunt today over the phone and she asked me if I have talked to the "mathamma penne" since I came back from India.. LOL.... Glad to know that you are well. Also, I am happy to know that you are surviving and liking where you are. I lived in India for 15 years and I only took train once to Madrass-(Tamil Nadu State) to the American Embassy for my Visa on "Number 20 Madrass Mail train" that leaves at 5:30pm to Madras everyday (There is a movie called Number 20 Madrass Mail too").. What a trip!! After that, I said "Salam" to the trains in Kerala!! Have a great weekend and stay safe!! Be praying for you!

Vicki said...

Katherine,

Your comments always expand my horizons. You have such a way with words. May God continue to bless you and keep you close.

Rev. Joel L. Tolbert said...

SO great to keep on hearing the updates from the other side of the planet. Thanks for you eyes, and words, to bring those experiences so far away much closer to home.
-Joel

Rev. Joel L. Tolbert said...

SO great to hear how things are going for you, and the unique perspective you share from your Sari and from a Train. Thanks so much for your eyes and your words. It feels like we are right there with you, learning along beside you.